Putting GPS to work
GPS technology has matured into a resource that goes far beyond its original design goals. These days scientists, sportsmen, farmers, soldiers, pilots, surveyors, hikers, delivery drivers, sailors, dispatchers, lumberjacks, fire-fighters, and people from many other walks of life are using GPS in ways that make their work more productive, safer, and sometimes even easier.
In this section you will see a few examples of real-world applications of GPS. These applications fall into five broad categories.
Click below to learn more about each application:
- Location– determining a basic position
- Navigation– getting from one location to another
- Tracking– monitoring the movement of people and things
- Mapping– creating maps of the world
- Timing– bringing precise timing to the world